Christmas is the word on everyone’s lips at the moment and as we prepare to move in to the festive season we thought we would put a ‘how to’ together and focus on our favourite printing method…. Sublimation!
For those of you out there that have no clue about sublimation and what it is. Here’s a little overview.
Sublimation is a printing procedure for transferring full colour graphics or photographs on to a wide selection of products. These products need to be either made from polyester or feature a polyester coating. Sublimation inks set into the fabric, almost like a tattoo and can’t be felt on the surface of the product.
For our project we’ve decorated one of our garden stakes and an aluminium star ornament. They’re both perfect for printing with a Christmas message or photo and are available online in different shapes!
Here’s how we made it:
- Choose artwork and fit in to shape on screen using our Creative Studio Software (this is free when you buy a Sawgrass sublimation printer A4 or A3). Print artwork and cut around the design leaving some space around the edges.
- Place the garden stake on to the printed sublimation paper (face down)
- Do the same with the star ornament.
- Secure them both with heat tape.
- Lay down a silicone sheet to protect the bed of the heat press.
- Place the items face down on the heat press (paper on top).
- Press for 60 seconds at 200 degrees.
- While still hot peel away the paper from the product.
- Voila… the ink has transferred from the paper to the product.
Sublimation printing really is an easy process and a small set-up requires very little investment. The vibrancy and precision you get from sublimation is amazing and totally worth the investment.
If you love the garden stakes but don’t have a sublimation printer you can alternatively decorate these using our Artesprix sublimation thermal markers or choose from a range of colours in our Self Adhesive vinyl range.